Dr. Rob Conenello is a renowned sports medicine specialist and is the immediate past President of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine.
He has also served as the global clinical adviser of Special Olympics International and is also the past Podiatric Medical Director for the Racing the Planet Sahara Desert event – part of the 4 deserts race series.
He has also lectured around the world, specifically about sports medicine pertaining to foot and ankle issues, treatments and surgeries and footwear.
With nearly 25 years of experience in podiatry, he is a wealth of knowledge on the injuries runners sustain with their feet.
In this episode Dr. Rob and I dive deep on running foot injuries:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tedonitis
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (Shin Splints)
- Stress fractures
- Forefoot pain
- General numbness
What they are, the type of running deficiencies that lead to these conditions, treatment options, when you can run through them and long term prevention strategies.
We also discuss:
- His opinion on true barefoot running, minimalist running and zero drop shoes
- His thoughts on shoes such as the Hoka which are the opposite of minimalist
- His professional opinion on orthotics
- How to care for your feet after a marathon
- Reducing the incidence of toenail injuries and loss
- What to do if you start suspecting or experiencing an injury just before your goal race
- What temperatures or conditions your feet can withstand when running barefoot
- Numbness in the feet, what causes it and what to do about it
- The type of fit you want to achieve with your running shoes
- His best tips for when and how to shop for shoes
Learn how to keep your footing in snow and ice without slipping and falling. Read More
Links Mentioned in the Show
Orangetown Podiatry – Dr. Rob’s Practice
Strutz Pro Rx – Arch support product
Swiftwick Socks – Matt’s recommended running socks
Yaktrax – Shoe attachment for snow/ice running
Right Form Running – Proper running form instruction