Dr. Jason Karp is a nationally recognized running and fitness coach, freelance writer and author, and exercise physiologist.
A 2011 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year award winner which is the fitness industry’s highest award, Dr. Karp has been published in scientific journals including Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, and International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance.
He has taught USA Track & Field’s highest level coaching certification and was an instructor at the USATF/U.S. Olympic Committee’s Emerging Elite Coaches Camp at the U.S. Olympic Training Center.
In this episode Jason and I engage in a detailed discussion of women’s running including:
- Key considerations for female runners
- The effects of estrogen and progesterone on endurance
- How running is affected during each phase of the menstrual cycle
- Best times of the month to increase mileage, run key workouts and race
- Anatomical differences that impact running
- The female athlete triad: 3 risk factors that impact performance
- How to safely lose weight through running without depleting key nutrients
- Mistakes female runners make when trying to lose weight through running
- How to keep weight off for life through running and diet
- The impact of pregnancy on running and what to do when you become pregnant
- Coming back to running after childbirth
- The effects of aging on female runners including menopause
I share one simple concept that will pay dividends in your training.
Links Mentioned in the Show
runcoachjason.com – Jason’s website