Matt Fitzgerald is an endurance sports writer, coach, and nutritionist. His work appears regularly in publications such as Competitor, Men’s Journal, and Triathlete and he has authored books on endurance nutrition, including Performance Nutrition for Runners and Racing Weight.
He has also provided nutritional advice to world-class runners, including Kara Goucher and Ryan Hall.
His just released book, The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond ‘The Wall’ will be of particular interest to those with questions on how to properly fuel for your half or full marathon and how to avoid the dreaded wall.
Perhaps what is best about Matt, is his ability to take the science behind why things work in training and racing and making it easier to understand.
In this episode Matt and I discuss:
- What else besides carbohydrates are crucial to success in distance events
- What to do if you get an upset stomach during a race
- Matt’s thoughts on how to select nutrition
- Energy bars, sports drinks, gels, GU – what’s best
- The importance of running your easy runs slow
- Mastering eating and drinking while running
- His advice on planning your race fueling strategy
- Where to go eat when you are short on time
- How the best runners in the world fuel
- Vegan and vegetarian considerations
In The New Rules, Matt cuts through the myths, distilling the most up–to–date science to help runners overcome the universally experienced nutritional barriers that prevent success in the marathon and half-marathon.
From basic tenets of training to nutrition guidelines, The New Rules is the first resource for runners to fully integrate nutrition with training for a complete and systematic pre-race plan. His powerful and easy–to–use tools will enable runners of all levels to attain their ideal racing weight, calculate their precise daily energy needs, and formulate a custom nutrition plan.
If you have been performing most of your running indoors during the winter I share strategies for you to successfully transition back outside and considerations when doing so.
Signed Book Giveaway Winner
Congratulations to podcast listener Lisa Smith of Bend, OR who won a signed copy of Matt Fitzgerald’s New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition!